Toople.com is standing up for small business – wherever they are. Sign the petition to give fair internet access for everyone.
Recently, the UK Government performed a huge U-turn on implementing broadband services to rural areas that do not have access yet. The hysteria and incredulity was widely felt, and in Toople.com’s opinion, well placed too. Recently, a spokesman for the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), announced: "Given the high costs of providing broadband access to premises in remote areas, it is right that this is done on request, rather than rolling it out and waiting to see if people in those areas want to be connected.”
A million homes and businesses
A million homes and businesses in rural areas – Wales, and the Shetland Isles included - of the country, will not have access to the promised 10Mbps of broadband by 2020. The Digital Bill announced in the Queen’s Speech stated a “Universal Service Obligation” will be implemented instead. Basically, this means consumers will have to pay for broadband to be provided by BT. According to the Bill’s background notes: “This would work similarly to the landline telephone USO (Universal Service Obligation) and, just like landlines, there would be a reasonable cost threshold, above which the very remotest properties may be expected to contribute to the cost of the installation”. In Toople.com’s opinion this isn’t fair. On the one hand the UK wants to be a leader in the application of technology, however, remote areas – 5% - must pay to access what others have freely available.
Access to the internet is not a luxury – a fact underlined by PM David Cameron – access to this should be for everyone. The 5% of those who cannot access high speed internet should not have to request it; to be a 21st Century technology leader 100% of the population needs to be covered. The nation relies on broadband so much; in fact, it’s a utility leant on like heat, water and light.
As recently as 2013, it was reported the coalition Government issued a £1.2bn subsidy to BT to upgrade its national broadband network. The coalition twinned the subsidy by publishing a study suggesting it will deliver benefits to the economy worth 20 times as much (source: Daily Telegraph). However, since then BT has returned £258m, leaving the country in the position we are in now. With rural premises now having to request – and pay for separately – their own broadband supply, the Government are leaving businesses, entrepreneurs and homes without an important connectivity resource.
Toople.com are launching a campaign; #broadbandforall. No caveats – just fair access. The UK cannot purport to be a 21st Century leader and then ask the most remote parts to pay for their access. Toople.com hope to address this with their petition. Once it receives 100,000 signatures, it will be debated in Parliament. Regular users of the internet would be lost without it. Toople.com aims to make sure everyone within the country is given the power to access broadband services; business, learning and knowledge.
Although the DCMS says by the end of 2017, 95% of the country will have access to broadband service, this clearly isn’t good enough for the remaining 5%. Amongst this percentage will be businesses. These are the lifeblood for the commercial UK; growing businesses looking to evolve and improve. Typically, amongst the 5% will be farmers looking to stay competitive. At Toople.com, we do not believe they would not want broadband. Farming and its related community are trying to rebuild themselves; broadband, like water and electricity will help them live, breathe and evolve. The Government needs to review this and offer equal opportunities for everyone.
What’s most bizarre is the Government are harming the loyal Tory voters from rural heartlands.
Toople.com is a forward thinking business. Agile and dynamic; just like the aspirational businesses that it works with.
Toople.com is a new service for UK SMEs. We believe in the potential of every SME and want them to have the tools and service behind them to reach their full ability. Our package will offer the most resilient Brilliant Business Broadband services to every single business across the UK.
With a leadership team featuring over 100 years of broadband and telephony experience, Toople.com are perfectly placed to deliver the services that ensure businesses grow. Combine that with our unbeatable deals, and you can see why we are shaking up the industry.
With believe in aspirational businesses, therefore, our service is shaped around them. Clear pricing and applying as little industry jargon as possible ensures business owners and purchasers of our services can concentrate on their business’s success. At Toople.com, we pride ourselves on making a difference. Toople.com – changing the perception of telecoms one connection at a time.